292 total views, 3 views today
There are certain lifestyle habits that affect our brains. These habits can threaten the health of our brains significantly, even when the connection isn’t obvious.
From denying the brain important nutrients to the killing of brain cells and exposing us to mental disorders like depression or anxiety, as well as physical ailments like Alzheimer’s, stroke, epilepsy, and even cancer.
- Excessive alcohol can damage the brain from functioning properly which may lead to dementia, deficits in learning and memory, mental disorders, and other cognitive damage. Alcohol damages the brain in other ways, for instance, by damaging the ends of neurons. This can make it difficult for those neurons to send important nerve signals. Alcohol may also damage the brain by increasing the risk of strokes, head injuries, and accidents.
2. Unhealthy diet; since the gut-brain axis, it is not surprising that an unhealthy diet can cause problems with cognitive functions such as remembering, learning, or thinking.
An unhealthy diet causes the body to release too much of a type of stress hormone that can activate the brain’s microglia and astrocytes.
3. Dehydration, if water levels are too low, our brain cells cannot function properly, leading to cognitive problems.
The brains of dehydrated adults show signs of increased neuronal activation when performing cognitively engaging tasks, indicating that their brains are working harder than normal to complete the task.
4. Stress, can disrupt synapse regulation, resulting in the loss of sociability and the avoidance of interactions with others. Stress can kill brain cells and even reduce the size of the brain.
Chronic stress has a shrinking effect on the prefrontal cortex, the area of the brain responsible for memory and learning.
5. Too Much Sugar; Excess sugar puts the brain in overdrive Because glucose is the primary source of energy for the brain, too much sugar can put it into overdrive mode.
When the brain is overstimulated, it can lead to hyperactivity and mood swings.